Delaware Insurance Licensing

The information provided by Agenzee is intended to be accurate and current regarding licensing and appointment requirements across states. While we make every effort to ensure precision through research and expertise, we recommend that readers independently verify details by contacting their state’s insurance department for precise regulations. Remaining informed is essential, and we are here to assist you on your path.

Appointments and Terminations in Delaware



Within 15 days of contract execution or first business submission

No (Date effective is date transaction is processed by the state)



No, perpetual

No fees


Include voluntary termination, inadequate production, death, etc.

Licensing in Delaware

Initial Individual New License Fee:

$100 for Insurance Producer, $250 for Surplus Lines Broker

Varies (e.g., $100 for Insurance Producer, $200 for Surplus Lines Broker)

Begins 60 days before expiration

Last day of February every 2 years

Agency Licensing in Delaware


Dec. 1st of even years until Feb. 28th of odd years


Independent and Emergency Adjuster Licensing in Delaware




Include a 1-year duration, no exam required

No LOA required

Continuing Education Requirements for Delaware Insurance Licensees

Here at Agenzee, we strive to provide accurate and up-to-date information on CE requirements for various states. While we take pride in our thorough research and expertise, we encourage our readers to conduct their own due diligence by consulting their state’s department of insurance for specific requirements. Remember, staying informed is key, and we’re here to support you on your journey to compliance!

Licensees must complete a total of 24 hours of continuing education every two years.

The renewal period is biennial, occurring every two years.

Continuing education must be completed prior to license expiration.

The license renewal date falls on the last day of the licensee's birth month.

Renewal year is based on the year of the first license issuance.

A CE reminder is sent 90 days prior to the license expiration date.

Producers licensed only for limited lines of insurance and licensees who are at least 65 years old with 25 years or more of licensure in South Carolina can request an exemption from CE requirements. The following designations' credits count toward CE: Chartered Life Underwriter, Fellow Life Management Institute, Certified Financial Planner, Life Underwriter Training Council Fellow, Registered Health Underwriter, Registered Employee Benefits Consultant, or Chartered Financial Consultant for life/health lines of authority and Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter and Certified Insurance Counselor for property/casualty licenses.

License and appointment(s) expire the day following the biennial compliance deadline. Producers may reinstate the license and appointment(s) that have expired, if within six months of the compliance deadline, a $50 penalty fee has been paid to the Department of Insurance, and proof of completion of a total of 24 hours of continuing education credits has been received by the Continuing Education Administrator. The license and appointment(s) of a producer who do not provide documentation of compliance within six months of the compliance deadline will be made inactive. To become licensed again, the producer must retake and pass the appropriate producer licensing examination, complete a new application, submit to new fingerprints, and pay a license fee to the Department.

Instructors receive credit for teaching courses.

Three hours of ethics and consumer protection training are required.

Property or casualty licensees must comply with 3 hours of NFIP course.

8-hour initial certification, with 4 hours of LTC-specific training every two years.

One-time, 4-hour course.

Frequently Asked Questions on Delaware Insurance Licensing

Begin by completing any necessary pre-licensing education, passing the relevant exams, and submitting your application through the NIPR Gateway.

Delaware offers licenses for Insurance Producers, Surplus Lines Brokers, Adjusters, and various limited lines like Travel and Car Rental.

Yes, Delaware mandates 24 hours of Continuing Education every two years, including specific hours for ethics and specialized areas such as flood insurance and long-term care.



Trinidad Navarro

(302) 674-7390

Delaware Department of Insurance